Saturday, July 26, 2014

Three Bargains by Tania Malik



"For fans of The Kite Runner and Slumdog Millionaire, a rags to riches epic.

By the banks of the River Yamuna in northern India, where rice paddies of basmati merge into fields of sugarcane, twelve-year-old Madan arrives with his family in the factory town of Gorapur. Madan’s father, drunk and abusive, threatens the family’s already tenuous, lowly position in Gorapur, finally committing an unforgivable crime. But when Madan’s sharp mind and hardened determination catch the attention of Avtaar Singh, his father’s employer and the most powerful man in town, everything seems to change for Madan and for his family. Avtaar Singh becomes a father to Madan in every way except in blood.

In his journey from impoverished boy to powerful man, Madan will have to bargain for his life and for the lives of those he loves. A novel about fathers and sons, the ties that bind, and the barriers of class that even love cannot break, Three Bargains is a stunning debut."


Expected Publication: August 11th, 2014



RATING 5 STARS

I am not sure I know exactly what to say about what I just read but I am going to try.

This "rags to riches" tale was extremely heartbreaking to read, but also beautiful in ways and beautifully written. It is is difficult for me wrap my mind around the fact that this is Malik's first novel. 

We start out on our journey through Madan's life when he is twelve years old. He is dirt poor, is living with his family and grandfather in servant's quarters under the man {Avtaar Singh} who pretty much owns the entire town and the people in it, and his father is an abusive drunk. He has an extremely rough start in the world. 

It starts to get better when Avtaar Singh notices Madan's intelligence, and takes a liking to him, but soon after they make acquaintance trouble with his father starts brewing. His father has debts to pay, and to pay them off he commits the unforgivable crime against his family of (view spoiler)

Avtaar Singh then takes Madan in, pretty much, as a son of his own, but also introduces Madan to a slick spiral down to a life of crime. And Madan, who is intelligent, lacks common sense and hangs on to the Avtaar's every word. 

…And that is where the real story begins. 

This book started out as being a gruesome tale of the life of poverty, then for the majority of the book it becomes the story of poverty and crime. I really wasn't sure where this book was going to end up, but the way Malik writes made me feel like I was right in the heart of India. I have not had much experience or knowledge about the culture of India, and Malik still did an amazing job in keeping me caught up and in explaining the story right through those pesky cultural barriers.

I was amazed at how well the ending came together, even though I really didn't like that(view spoiler) I really LOVED the ending and how bittersweet Madan's (view spoiler) I wasn't sure if I liked Madan at all throughout the majority of the book, just because of how much he got himself into trouble and how willing he was to heed Avtaar Singh's every command - even when it involved the murder of, what seemed like, innocent people. I LOVED Jaggu, and that love just kept growing. I HATED Avtaar Singh and was extremely disappointed when Madan (view spoiler)

All in all I am extremely satisfied with this book, it is a new favorite of mine, I will be re-reading it. After all of the violence and troubles, I did not expect for this book to end up so bittersweet and heartfelt, but was happily surprised.

**I won an ARC of Three Bargians for free through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway**
**This review is based on an uncorrected proof, the novel is subject to change until publication**